To pull tweets and other information from your Twitter profile or other sources in the Twitter, you’ll need to create a Twitter Application through your account. It may seem super-technical, but it’s actually very simple to do. This article will tell you how to get Twitter Consumer Key and Secret.
Step 1: Go to https://dev.twitter.com/apps and sign-in there with your twitter account credentials. Create account if you don’t have one.
Step 2: Click on Create new Application button. You will see Create Application page. Press Create Application and you will then see this page.
Name – Enter a name for your Twitter client application to be known by, e.g., “MyTwitterExample”. This field will be the display name of your application and will be used during user authentication.
Description – Write a short description on what you intend to do with the application, e.g., “My Twitter Example Application”;
Website – Fill in the full URL (including http://www) of the website you intend to either use the application or make it available for public download.
Callback URL – If you intend to return your users to a specific URL after authentication, specify it here. In basic cases like WordPress widget integration, this field can be left blank.
Read and agree to the Developer Rules of the Road, enter the Captcha phrase, and click button “Create your Twitter application”. You’re now done creating your application.
Step 3: Click on Settings tab and tick Read and Write option under Access section.
Step 4: Now go to the “OAuth tool” tab and you’ll need the info for the first 4 boxes (Consumer key, Consumer secret, Access token & Access token secret). And in your Widget module for Twitter, enter in that information and your Twitter account should now be authenticated correctly.
- Go to: Twitter Developer Site
- Signin with your twitter user/password (top right)
- Hover over your account/user (top right) and choose “My Applications”
- Click “Create New Application Button”
- Type a name for your application (i.e. “website”)
- Type a description for your application (i.e. “twitter for widgetkit”)
- Type your website/domain name (i.e. “http://www.catanisthemes.com”)
- Create your Twitter application.
- Once created, under the “Details” tab click the “Create access token” button.
- Now go to the “OAuth tool” tab and you’ll need the info for the first 4 boxes (Consumer key, Consumer secret, Access token & Access token secret)
- In your Widget module for Twitter, enter in that information and your Twitter account should now be authenticated correctly.